The Tupperware Caper

I know I have an innocent face, but my MIL has apparently seen right through my otherwise-convincing facade, and has divined that I am a Tupperware-stealer. Even I didn't realize that this numbers amongst my other considerable flaws.

Allow me to direct your attention to the picture for a moment. What you see is apparently a very precious artifact suitable for display in the Smithsonian's Food Storage section. Perhaps you'll see it yourself in person some day. Note the rare Harvest Gold bowl topped with the Dusty Rose "burping" lid. Indeed, it is a remarkable specimen, and yes, I had it in my kitchen.

You're probably wondering how I came to obtain this amazing objet d'art, so I'll explain. On the Sunday following my FIL's big surprise party, we all rolled on down south of town to Maison d'Inlaws for a barbecue. So abundant were the side dishes that I was asked if I'd like to take some home for the kids to eat, and I was pleased to pack up some of the grub. I took some cole slaw in an old Cool Whip container, a cold spaghetti salad in an old sherbet tub, and some baked beans in the much-admired non-disposable Tupperware bowl.

Fast-forward to Thursday. G went to have lunch with his Mom and Grandma (who's visiting from Denver). During the lunch, he was admonished thusly by the MIL:

"Make sure Adrienne gives me my Tupperware back."

Take note, bloggers. I am not to be trusted with food-storage containers. I was so miffed when I heard this that if we hadn't been scheduled to spend Friday evening with Grandma (a perfect opportunity to return the heirloom), I would have FedExed it to her.

On Friday, what do you think was the 1st thing my MIL asked G?

"Did Adrienne bring my Tupperware back?" In case you're wondering, I was standing right there.

As butt-clenchingly irritating as the whole thing has been, at least it makes her Christmas present buying a cinch. You guessed it: Tupperware!

5 comments:

Alex said...

Wow, my head is spinning, so much to say, so much to say...
1)great story !!
I am guessing (hoping) that your MIL does not have your blog URL,
does not have a computer,
and/or does not have any friends that have computers. lol
I have to admit to being quite the chicken in these matters (even after 20+ years of marriage). My dear, darling, hubby has threatened to give my blog address to my FIL several times. Keeps me in line ;-). almost

I have to tell you that my quick (and very unscientific) search of the 15000 tupperware items on ebay did not produce 1 match of a gold bowl with lilac (rose) cover so it must be very valuable indeed.
Perhaps she will leave it to you in her will.
In the meantime I did find the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tupperware-Thatsa-Bowl-Lime-32-Cup-Very-Rare-NIP_W0QQitemZ120324432393QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120324432393&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

please note that this is listed as VERY RARE also. lol
Thanks for the smile ;-)

Stowe and Maria said...

Very funny. Just keep a straight face and pretend you had nothing to do with it.

Zan said...

ROFLMAO!!!!! Your story is too funny, particularly because, if your family is anything like mine, I'm sure it is the God's honest truth with no embellishments. In my family, it would be my mom asking me about the Tupperware, not my MIL (she'd have given me the shirt off her back if she thought I could use it).

Time spent with family is wonderful - that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

BTW, my word verification is unqua. I think that it would be unqua for Addie to borrow the Tupperware as she likely won't return it ;-)!

KF-in-Georgia said...

I'm the Corningware thief. I've got a little piece of my sister's Corningware.

But my mother is a wise woman: she sends me home with leftovers in old margarine tubs.

My validation word is "stingsta." I'm a Corningware stingsta?

bosslady said...

So, I'm guessing I may need to roll on over to Chez Hebb and peruse your cabinets. It appears as though my once heafty tupperwear collection as dwindled down to just a few repurposed luncheon ham containers. It's nice being able to finally blame someone.

fyi: my word verification on this post is "loosery". Another insult by blogger!