Another Special Day

The past week has been a birthday fandango around here, and today is no exception as I wish my boy Bruno a Happy 5th Birthday. Bruno, formerly known as Butterfly Flight, was the most successful racer in his litter of six, and ran 137 races, winning 15 and placing 2nd in 26. Butterfly Flight was a standout as a racer, and I’m proud of his professional accomplishments.

As successful as he was at the track, Bruno really hit his stride as a friend and companion for our family. We chose him specifically because he was so gentle with our elderly dog Cosmo, and he even allowed the old gent to walk right under him when we first met in January. He was a perfect companion for Cosmo during his last days, and a great comfort when the Cos left us, following us from room to room, always ready to offer a lean or lay his head on our laps.

Wonderfully laid-back and calm, he’s a great Ambassadog at Meet & Greets, and his striking good looks never fail to attract some attention. On the other hand, he’s very protective of his home and family, and is part of that rare fraternity of the guard-dog greyhound. I won’t soon forget the day I let him into the back yard not knowing Mark the exterminator was out there; I heard the most alarming barking and growling and found that Bruno had Mark cornered and cowering against the house. As laid-back as he is, Bruno is no pushover, something I can’t help respecting.

Of course Bruno has my love as well as my respect, and it’s really his gentle heart and sweetness that I love most. As my introduction to this wonderful breed, I’d never hesitate to add another retired racer to my family, and it’s because of Bruno that we adopted Hoover to complete our family.

Happy Birthday, Mr. B., you’ll always be a champion to us!

5 comments:

Zan said...

A very happy birthday to you Bruno! Enjoy your special day.

Addie, what a wonderful tribute to a much loved hound.

Alex said...

Wow, so many wonderful scorpios in your life Addie:
Scorpio Strength Keywords:
- Loyal
- Passionate
- Resourceful
- Observant
- Dynamic

Happy Birthday Bruno,
have a chew-treat on me.

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm so jealous... he's got Unruly on both sides of his pedigree.... although maybe with 2 lines, they cancel each other out because he was not a crazy, unruly boy in class :-). Katie and Riley have Unruly lines.

Jen

Addie said...

Bruno says thanks for the birthday wishes! He did have a great day with some nice treats, and he is certainly a scorpio!

Jen, when I think of his pedigree and some of the successful athletes he has in both lines, I wonder what his precedessors would think of his slow trots on recalls and the way he just wandered off during the Blur of Fur. He went so slow that the boys called it the "Blur of Disappointment"!

Kris-ticism said...

From a 7 yr old boy in Frisco, TX. He gleefully read the post about Bruno's birthday, (a little late...because well, he's not a very good reader yet, and got hung up on the words more than 5 letters)...any hoo he wanted to make a suggestion to his 'cousins mom'...that she give Bruno a special doggie cake, and send some pic of him basking in the buttercream glow. And after all, our wish is your command.

Hugs and Kisses Big Pimp B from your Crew in the Big D.