Bite Me

I’m sure we’ve all seen or experienced that old practical joke wherein someone puts a “Kick Me” sign on someone else’s back. It’s a real gem, isn’t it?

I don’t know what it is about Hoover, but it’s almost as if he’s wearing a sign that says, “Bite Me” that only dogs can read. It must be something subtle in his body language that I’m not picking up on, because I’ve seen him nipped at by dogs in a variety of situations.

Even Bruno bit him on Monday during a hot pursuit after a squirrel in the yard. They were outside eating their dinner, so they weren’t muzzled, and my best guess is that Hoover must have bumped into Bruno while they pursued the squirrel, and that’s when it got ugly. I really couldn’t tell what happened as I shot across the yard toward the two of them, but the end result was two small bites: one on Hoover’s face, the other on his behind (the indignity!). To Bruno’s credit, he did stop immediately and cowered when I charged across the lawn yelling, “Bruno! Done!”. He was in trouble, and he knew it, but that was a small consolation to Hoover, I’m afraid.

Poor Hoover is just the sweetest, goofiest dog you could imagine, so it does bother me when he’s on the receiving end of nips and bites. He’s like that kid in elementary school who would eat paste or pick his nose; he’s just seems like such an easy target, I guess.

5 comments:

Stephen said...

Poor Hoov! Stacker's got a leftover bottle of Alpha-Wannabe (now with wasabi) he can let you borrow! Guaranteed to make you over-confident and stick your neck out just a bit too far. But hey, at least you'll be incapable of rational thought (or parental correction) at the time.

Leslie said...

Poor Hoovy, Granny will kiss him and make him all better.

Zan said...

Poor Hoov!! He wants to know if Bruno has to wear to Naughty Hat now.

Patti said...

Oh my, poor Hoover. My Sugar is like this but will take up for herself if need be. Lucy tore into her once in the backyard. They were fighting over a fox tail I stupidly bought home for them to play with. Well, the prized tail sure didn't last long and $400 later at the vet's office with Sugar all stitched up, I realized it wasn't worth all that. Lucy was fairly new and was staking her position, I think. Two weeks later, she tore a quarter size hole on the back of Remi's neck. We all know who is alpha now!! And people wonder why I always have Lucy in an X-pen by herself? :)

Addie said...

Stephen, please send over any spare Alpha-Wannabe (careful with that wasabi; I might take some myself and really flex my muscles at the next SEGC dinner...not that you'd be able to tell ;-)). Anyway, Hoover could use it!

Mom, Hoovy is already a big Mama's boy, and I think that's part of his problem, but I'm sure he'll love all the smooches he can get!

Zan, I think I'm going to need a much more durable Naughty Hat if these guys keep this up, and if I didn't know better, I'd SWEAR it's a full moon!

Oh Patti, at least this incident didn't end in stitches...poor Sugar!! Sounds like Sugar could also use some of Stephen's Alpha potion, Lucy needs her own Naughty Hat, and Remi doesn't need any intervention at all.

I've given Hoov all of your sympathy, and he thanks you profusely. I think he's gotten over the emotionally crippling effects and is back to hiding shoes and trying to eat pillows - Hooray!!

Addie