Cell Phone Sabbath

Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but I suspect I'm not. My cell phone drives me crazy.

Not because I don't want to talk to my friends and family, because that's not the case. It's just that the damn thing rings incessantly. Sure, it's convenient to be able to call home from the grocery store and find out whether or not we're out of sour cream, but is it really necessary to be so in touch all the time?

I suspect this is just some kind of masochistic digital-age addiction, and I intend to find out. I've turned my phone off as of sundown yesterday, and I'm leaving it off until 8:00am Monday. For crying out loud, I'm a corporate trainer, not a brain surgeon who needs to be on call. I can be out of touch for36 hours or so.

At least I think I can.

3 comments:

christie said...

Good luck! I gave up my land line 3 year ago, o my cell is it for me. Can't turn it off, I'm way to addicted. I may need therapy for crackberry addicts or something.

Zan said...

Hope you make it!! I have a love/hate relationship with phones in general.

What I really hate is when my cell phone rings and I don't answer it because I'm washing the dog or something, so they call my home phone. Since I'm still washing the dog, or whatever, I don't answer that either. Some of my more persistent friends then call back on the cell again. I guess figuring if they bug me enough I'll answer somewhere. Makes me want to throw both phones in a lake!!

Addie said...

Christie, it's official - I'm addicted! I checked voicemail. There has to be a 12 step program for this.

Zan, I'm with you on the people who call every phone number they have until they catch you. I get a lot of that, too!

Addie