The Kind Stranger

Many thanks to the One Minute Writer for suggesting the subject of this post. The prompt for today is "Write about something nice a stranger did for you".

Last year G & I celebrated our 17th anniversary in Denver as we were visiting relatives for Christmas, and he gave me a very unusual and lovely silver bracelet. The next day, which was a Saturday, we went to a brewery tour in the distant mountains, and I couldn't resist wearing the bracelet. We had a great time on the tour, but I realized that the bracelet was missing when we returned to Aunt Heather's and Uncle Clay's house. We searched high and low in the car and the house, and we retraced my steps, to no avail. I must have lost the bracelet on the brewery tour, but there was no time to find out; our flight was departing on Sunday.

On Monday I called the brewery and they said that a woman had left her phone number and stated that she'd found a beautiful silver bracelet. I called the number, and spoke to this woman (who had also been on vacation from Chicago) and told her the story of why the bracelet was so meaningful to me. We laughed, I cried, and we exchanged information. I received the bracelet in the mail soon thereafter, carefully wrapped in tissue with a note that said, "Happy Anniversary - Again!".

3 comments:

C. Beth said...

Okay, call me a sap, but I totally got teary-eyed reading that. Beautiful story!

Thanks so much for the link to my blog and for writing such an inspired response!

Beth (oneminutewriter.blogspot.com, cbethblog.blogspot.com)

Sandra said...

This was a touching post.

Addie said...

Beth & Sandra,

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you were touched by the story; as sad as I was initially to have lost my bracelet, I'm almost glad it happened so that I could experience this really cool random kindness.

Addie