Keeping It Real

Now that my kids are older, Halloween is a different experience. When the kids were younger, we were all wrapped up in carving pumpkins, creating costumes, and trick-or-treating. Everyone was involved, and it was a big deal. This year, G was out making deliveries until about 9pm, Jared went to the football game, and Tyler took off to trick-or-treat with his friends, which left me and the dogs to greet the ghouls and goblins. It was kind of a drag, but I stationed myself by the door with some vodka, a peanut butter sandwich, my laptop, and my candy bucket.

Suddenly, there's a knock at the door, and it was the Bosslady and her good pal Vanessa. Noticing that I was not only alone, but also watching HGTV and reading blog comments, the Bosslady (who can be relied on for keeping it real) said, "Addie, you're like a drag-queen shut-in with your HGTV and your blog on Halloween!"

I wonder what she would have thought if she'd seen me washing down my peanut butter sandwich with vodka tonics?

4 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Obviously I missed the party. I thought it would have been last night. So why not party photos!!!

I worked on training the kids to say "Trick or Treat". Kids are so spoiled today. I think the Hispanic kids did better than the US born brats.

Jen

Addie said...

I know, I've got to get some photos of the party up. We had it last weekend because the host wanted to take his little girl trick-or-treating, so it would have been too hard to have the party last night.

Good on you for working with the kids last night. I have a little system I'll let you in on with the trick-or-treating...if the kid doesn't say trick or treat, or they're in high school and don't have a costume on (technically I believe this is begging, not trick or treating), or I otherwise don't like their manners, I give them a mega-sucky candy. A Chick-O-Stick, to be precise. It's a penalty candy, and I consider it training for the employment world. If you try hard, dress appropriately and you're polite, you get yummy chocolate. If not, crap wrapped in plastic!

Boo-yah, 17 year old in a black sweatsuit calling yourself a Ninja - how ya like me now?!

Addie

bosslady said...

There's one bit that kept the confirmation of my drag queen shut in comment was fact that you didn't have your fake eyelashes on! If you had, I would indeed have begun putting together an intervention.

Addie said...

I'm trying to bring false eyelashes back, Bosslady! I think the world would be a better place if we all just looked at little more like Bambi. :-)

Maybe I'll wear some to the next SEGC meeting; between the lashes and my black hair, we could have some great giggles at my expense.