Hard Hitting Issues

I really respect you all for your willingness to read this blog as we explore the hard-hitting issues of today. I recognize that you have a choice in your blog reading material, and yet here you are, reading this. I applaud you.

Today's topic deals with something we've all encountered, whether we realize we've been affected or not. In fact, our own world wide web's Urban Dictionary has only begun to explore the subject we tackle today: the ubiquitous "Girl Crush" and "Man Crush" (which is closely related to "Bromance").

In the bygone days of the After School Special, this would have been a suitably sensitive topic to cover, but since we're now left to parent without these vehicles for important life lessons, I had to broach the subject with my child, unscripted. Here's how it went:

(In a dimly-lit suburban living room, and mother and her son are watching NBC's hit reality series, The Biggest Loser, when uber-hot fitness trainer Jillian Michaels appears on screen.)

Mother: Jillian Michaels is so hot. Have you seen her do one-arm push ups? In my own mind, I'm SO her.

Son: She's almost as tough as Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild. One time he bit a fish that was still alive, and he wrestled an alligator, and he took his clothes off in the snow...

Mother: I know, he's your man crush...

Son: Yeah, so? She's your lady crush...

Mother: I guess so, check out her abs...

(END SCENE. FADE TO BLACK.)

I hope what we've all learned is that the man crush, girl crush, and even the bromance can happen to any of us, and we mustn't blame ourselves or feel shame. The collage you see here represents some of these special relationships of mine and my loved ones.



Please note that the Mel Gibson crush ended abruptly after that whole drunken anti-Semitic rant thing, but Wendy, I'll love you forever, girl! Pass me that Frosty, will you?

2 comments:

bosslady said...

Wendy's? Duuuuuuuude. What about ringin' the bell? Gosh, I thought I knew you.
My girl crush: Natalie Portman

-sssssssssssmokin'

Addie said...

Oh, don't worry, I still like to ring the bell, make no mistake.

Excellent choice for your girl crush, and thanks for sharing. :-)