One of Those Faces

I like tattoos. In fact, I have two. One of them is stupid and I don’t think about it much, in contrast to the other very special one that is pictured here. What I don’t have is a tattoo on my forehead that says, “Tell Me Everything!”, although I might as well.

For some reason, service people love to tell me their troubles. From the exterminator who keeps me updated quarterly on the status of his tumultuous relationship with his ex-wife, to the carpet cleaner who spent close to an hour yesterday regaling me with tales of his close-calls with foreclosure, everyone has a story. If I were in therapy, I swear we’d spend the hour talking about the therapist’s self esteem and body image issues. I guess I just have one of those faces.

Don’t get me wrong; if I know someone, I’m glad to listen. But when I’m paying someone to perform a service, it’s just plain creepy. I’d love to have a housekeeper, but would I have to hear about her insomnia, mother issues, and political views? The point is moot, of course, since I can’t afford a housekeeper, but even if I could, it would probably be less exhausting to clean my own baseboards.

2 comments:

christie said...

That tatt is super cute! I already have two, but neither are dog related. I'm thinking two is my limit, so Gemini and Heater may be out of luck....

Addie said...

Christie, I'm glad you like that tatt. I don't think I'll ever regret it, either. Two is my limit too, so Bruno & Hoover will have to earn their fame somewhere besides my skin. Cosmo will always be special though. He was the first dog I was a Mom to, my special heart dog, and he gave me 13 perfect years. My special tribute to him always makes me smile, and I'm glad you like it.

Addie