Songs & Suds

Last night after spreading mulch until well after dark (which is easier said than done, by the way), the crew came inside and started working on various projects. Jared played guitar and worked on a song he’s writing about Beowulf for a literature project, and Tyler worked on the computer and did some laundry. I began to put together some mailings for the business, and Garrett cleaned the kitchen during the commercials while watching Panic Room.

As I slapped labels on the mailers, I listened to the bizarre strains of Jared’s song and the ecstatic sounds of someone besides me loading the dishwasher. The Beowulf song, which seems to have roughly the same tune as Smelly Cat from Friends, goes something like this:

Beowulf, Beowulf
You’ve had epic adventures
Beowulf, Beowulf
You encountered some monsters
Beowulf, Beowulf
You slayed them all!

There are about one million verses to this song, which is bound to be a big hit. You’d think that would have been the funniest part of the night, but it wasn’t.

After finishing loading the dishwasher, G called out from the kitchen, “Hey Addie? What am I supposed to do with this soap packet thing…just put it in there and turn the washer on?”

Talk about throwing yourself under the bus! I didn’t realize that it’s probably been a YEAR since he’s loaded the dishwasher, since that’s about how long I’ve been buying that kind of dishwashing detergent. I’ve made up my own song, to the tune of Beowulf.

Busted, Busted
You never load the dishwasher
Busted, Busted
I find your dishes in the sink
Busted, Busted
I’ve washed them all!

4 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Time for you to delegate a task for the next year. I hate folding laundry so I make Stephen do that :-).

Jen

Addie said...

Jen, that's actually a great suggestion, but I won't tell Garrett it was your idea! I'll keep you posted. :-)

bosslady said...

You were the one to suggest I use those little packets--they are the bestest! Those and the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser have changed turned my pots / dishes into sparkle-ware.

Addie said...

I'm glad you like all my household product reviews! Am I crazy or was that like a year ago? I really shouldn't be surprised, because Garrett's idea of starting the dishwasher is telling one of the kids, "Go clean the kitchen."!