Red Isn't My Color

As I've mentioned before, I don't like the sun. I go out of my way to avoid scorching my ridiculously lily-white skin. As you can see by the picture, I failed miserably at this on Saturday at Greyfest despite my best efforts.

I wore long sleeves, long pants, a hat, and giant sunglasses, leaving only a bit of my chest and the back of my neck exposed, and I slathered those bits with Neutrogena SPF 70 Helioplex sunscreen.

Was I too hot in my winter get-up in the 80 degree heat? Definitely.

Was I smug in the knowledge that I was avoiding the youth-robbing rays du soleil? Absolutely.

Still, I managed to cook up a 2nd degree burn on the 12 or so square inches of flesh that weren't covered by fabric. It hurts, it itches, and it looks like leather. In short, it's lovely.

I get it now...I just can't spend ANY time outside with ANY skin showing. So if you ever happen to see someone in public wearing a Ninja costume or a fencing uniform complete with mask, that just might be me.

4 comments:

KF-in-Georgia said...

Poor you! I managed to avoid too much sun by sticking under my nail-trimmer's canopy. Just got a bit on my face, and it's mostly faded now.

On the other hand...my aching thighs. Down on the ground to trim nails on 3 of 4 feet. Then stand up, move around the dog, and down on the ground to trim the 4th foot. And stand up, again. For, I think, about 36 dogs. I'll be fine, sitting here on the sofa, until I have to get up, and then--yeouch!

One woman suggested I should have a stool I could push against to stand up. I countered that I should have a handsome young man to haul me to my feet. I'll have to negotiate something for next year... ;)

Addie said...

I hadn't even considered what a workout that must have been. When you did Hoover's toes (which look fabulous, by the way) you made it look SO easy. Then again that was early in the day before you would've really been feeling the burn (as Jane Fonda might say!).

As far as negotiating a handsome young assistant, I think it's well within your rights, and you're a lady after my own heart. If I were you, I'd also try to negotiate that I could call him "Armando", and he should have to speak in an exotic accent. Farfetched? Probably. Worth a shot? Maybe!

Maria Peters said...

Owwie kazowie. I hate sunburns too...of course I used to roast myself in my youth, but now as the crows feet start flying by themselves, I too may be interested in a burque. Do you think they have two for one specials???

I heard that tea bags applied to sunburn helps...I can't believe that helioplex 70 didn't protect you! And another thing. Those dawgs should be ashamed of themselves!!!

Addie said...

Maria, the picture of the crow's feet flying in by themselves is a great visual...I love it! I'm sure that 70 SFP probably did its job for the first couple of hours, but I forgot to bring it with me (of course I remembered dog bowls, treats, blankets to sit on, all the DOG stuff!), so I'm sure it wore off and before you could holler "Addie Flambe!" in a fake French accent, my goose was cooked. I'll have to try the tea bags - I know I'm really being a baby about this!

Those drama dawgs finally gave up the cold shoulder. Around dinner time, not-so-coincidentally. :-)