All About The Jeffersons

I know a lot of people say that they’re “all about the Benjamins”, but I’m all about The Jeffersons. Not the Jefferson on the $2 bill. The Jeffersons, as in George and Weesie, and more specifically their theme song, Movin’ On Up.

First, I’ll say that I think everyone should have one or more personal theme songs. Your personal theme song is THE song you’d want to have playing if you had to walk down the street 80's style with a boom box on your shoulder; it is meant to capture the essence of where you are in your life at that very moment. At various times, my themes have included: I’m Every Woman, I’m Too Sexy, Take This Job and Shove It, and Movin’ On Up.

In addition to its obvious application as a personal anthem, I’ve found that singing this song at the top of my voice turns my dogs into raving lunatics. Bruno roos and zooms around the room, and Hoover grabs the nearest toy and slings it violently back and forth. By the time I get to that thrilling last line (you know...the one where I finally get a piece of the pie-i-i-i), they’re both exhausted.

This song has also served me well as a childrearing tool. Years ago, when my kids would misbehave in public, all I had to do was belt out a line of two of this song (right in the middle of Home Depot, or wherever we happened to be), and the kids would stop whatever they were doing that was embarrassing me. You know what they say: Revenge is the best parenting.

What? Am I the only one who says that? Interesting…

2 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I love your punishing the kids with embarrassment tactic. Great idea :-).

Jen

Addie said...

It worked beautifully, too. I guess they got the idea that if they embarrass me, I have no problem turning the tables on them. Kids are so much easier to embarrass than adults are, it's like taking candy from a baby!