High School Memories

I know some people remember high school fondly. If this describes you, you probably had the most fashionable clothes, you didn't ride the bus senior year, and you probably weren't an Academic Decathlete and delegate to the Model United Nations.

Not that everything about high school stunk. I still remember the day Ms. Carlos returned a short story I wrote and looked me in the eye and said, "You, Miss Hall, are a writer." I gained my love of public speaking in high school, too, thanks to Mr. Shone and Ms. Gill. In other areas I wasn't so successful, most notably sports, which is not surprising, really, since I graduated at five foot nothing, and had the motor skills of a newborn calf and the upper body strength of a three year old girl.

In any case, I had some great friends, one of whom was Martin Gaxiola. I just heard from him a couple of days back, and I'm amazed by what he's done since we graduated Thunderbird High School in 1989. I'm so impressed, in fact, that I've added his website to my link-o-rama. This is some serious flamenco, folks.

6 comments:

Kevin said...

That's very cool. You probably saw on their site that they'll be a mere 260 miles away from you in Davidson, NC on 11/19!

Kevin said...

I should have mentioned that I went by our alma mater about a month ago when I was up in Phx. Hugh Hansen is still teaching there and I thought I would stop by. They wouldn't let me onto campus because of an unnamed 'incident' from a couple of days prior. Ah, memories... Go Chiefs!

Addie said...

It is cool, isn't it? Too bad I won't be able to make that performance. Too bad you weren't able to visit with Hugh. I wonder if he still looks like he's 15.

:-)

Kevin said...

Why wouldn't he? We still do...

Addie said...

RIGHT...only now I only get carded when the clerk has been sniffing hi-lighters or something.

Kevin said...

Check it. He still gets carded... http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v481/Thunderbird1750/?action=view&current=Hugh.jpg