Posting Under the Influence

Right now, you may be asking yourself why Addie would want to post under the influence, and your consternation is understandable, so I’ll tell you why. Because I love you all like a fat kid loves cake, and you’re been good boys and girls all year long, and you deserve a treat.

Here are my rules of PUI:

  • I get to say whatever I want about anything, which probably goes without saying since I usually do that anyway.
  • Once this post is published, I will never, ever go back and edit it, no matter how much a typo or nonsensical phrase is bothering me. This one is a big deal, trust me.
  • I get to use all the salty language I like, so if that sort of thing chaps your hide, you should probably go ahead and sneak on out of here.

Now that we've got that straight, I'm going to cover a few items in the order in which they occur to me. I realize that writing conventions dictate that I should tell you what I'm going to tell you, then tell you, and then tell you what I told you, but this isn't a five-paragraph essay, I didn't make an outline, and I don't think any of you are developmentally delayed in any way. This is totally extemporaneous, so work with me, will ya?

Let's start by talking about Christmas Newsletters. You know what I'm talking about, because when you get one, you ask God what you did wrong to deserve to find the literary equivalent of Taco Bell diarrhea in your mailbox. If you yourself distribute a Christmas newsletter, I'm going to ask you to please reconsider this blatant affront to your so-called loved ones. These letters suck, and they probably love you too much to tell you to your face.

I get one every year from my MIL (yes, she lives just across town, and yes, I'm aware of her every move much as NORAD is aware of the movement of every single aircraft traversing the airspace of the good ol' USA at any given moment). Here's the coverage we received this year:

Garrett and Adrienne still live in Atlanta, and Garrett's trophy shop is doing well. Jared graduates high school this year, and Tyler is two years behind him.

The rest of the letter goes something like this: I went to Michigan to see tulips, I went to a conference in New Orleans, I sprained my ankle, I pooped once and saw corn I didn't remember eating, etc. (Ok, ok, that last one wasn't really in the letter!)

Here's my idea for an entertaining (albeit not altogether true) Christmas newsletter:

Well, another year has gone by and I've still failed to achieve my full potential. I've been thinking that perhaps I have some sort of parasite that is preventing me from reaching my goal of world domination. My psychiatrist and I are seriously considering increasing the dosage on my medication (the anti-depressant, not the anti-anxiety), but the last time we did that my ass expanded to about twice it's normal size. The upside is that although I was fat, I wasn't too bummed out about it.

The kids are well and happy, although their academic achievement leads me to believe that neither of them will be setting the world ablaze with amazing scientific discoveries. As for the dogs, we've recently discovered that Bruno and Hoover love bleu cheese, imported beer, and licking each other's ding-dongs. We thought we were getting greyhounds, but I think we may have actually adopted Gay Hounds. In any case, they're just great, and I love the way they howl when I sing It's Raining Men.

See what I mean? Nobody is interested in this sort of stupid, boring minutia. I call to the stand Stephen of Plus Est En Vous, who has informed me via comment that my last post was so boring that he sustained a mild concussion upon being lulled to sleep and subsequently striking his head on his keyboard. I would launch into a grueling examination of the witness, but I have to agree with his contention. Nevermind, Stephen, you're dismissed on the grounds that I can't poke any holes in your premise.

On another note, I have to warn you all against following the procedure I described in the post entitled Dog Language Barrier. I just performed this act with Bruno, who responded this time by jumping on my back and humping me. Seriously. I removed myself from this menage a dog, and he approached me as I sat on the couch and grabbed my leg and proceeded to go to town, whereupon I called him a pervert and squirted him with water. The language barrier is hereby broken, and apparently rubbing your head on your dog's side means, "Go ahead and hump me, big boy!". Who knew?

Let's move on, shall we? I'd also like to talk about my favorite new store at Perimeter Mall, Martin & Osa. Lord, how I love this store! G and I are both totally smitten by this offshoot of American Eagle Outfitters, whose target demographic is grown ups with jobs. As Bob Barker & Drew Carey would say, The Price is Right and the clothes, as I would say, don't make me look like a garden variety idiot. If you have this store locally, please go spend some money so they don't go out of business.

Speaking of G, he and I are celebrating our 18th wedding anniversary on Monday, so I'll just take this moment to say that I love this guy more than cashmere, diamonds, and a perfectly cooked steak. Suffice it to say that without the rays of sunshine that literally shoot out of his ass, my life would be dreary indeed.

Two more items:
  • I suspect that the employees at JoAnn fabrics are part of some undead army of terrible customer service zombies.
  • In 2009, I intend to find out who keeps putting those community newspapers on my driveway, and I'm going to cuss them out.

Well, that's about it for now. If you made it all the way through this post, go ahead and award yourself 500 bonus points, and have a drink on me.

11 comments:

Leslie said...

That' my girl ! Now we are going to be waiting for each and every blog. Because no body does them like she does.
My v. word is "lasess" You are going to laugh your "lasess's" off when you read this ;^)

Alex said...

Nobody is in danger of sustaining "a mild concussion upon being lulled to sleep and subsequently striking his head on his keyboard"
with this post, but I thought that I might have an aneurysm from laughing too hard.
Very honestly, we received a Christmas letter one year from a relative, telling us what a WONDERFUL year they had, when we knew for a fact that that very year, he had lost his job, and their son had been arrested for drug possession- DOWN with Christmas newsletters (well, except perhaps for YOUR version.)
On a lighter note, I guess I should be glad that Hero's walking away after performing "the head act" simply means I'm not his type.
Long live Addie, long may she post!!!!!!

Alex said...

BTW- I'll have some of what she's having ;-)

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I actually prefer "the letter" to just the family photo or unsigned card. My feeling is if you can't send me a sentence and a signature.... no need to send me anything at all.

Jen

Stephen said...

Who knew that the canine libido was lifted largely by the leering of a libated, letch of a lady?

bosslady said...

I know what you mean by seeing corn ;)
btw: this post made me pee I laughed so hard.

Poolie said...

I say we should get Addie liquored up more frequently :-)

Hope you guys have a great anniversary and a safe new year!

Addie said...

Well, it looks like lots of you earned your bonus points. I'm really impressed! For those of you who had a giggle at the expense of my dignity, it was a small price to pay. Bosslady, the fact that you peed a little is the highest compliment I can imagine. Mom, I'll try to keep 'em coming, but you all may want to send wine to keep the quality up.

Alex, I think you're right that maybe you're just not Hero's type-lucky! There's something disturbing about having your dog like you "that way". G was funny and I should have included this, becuase he saw the whole thing and said, "Bruno, that's freakin sick...get off your Mom and get your own girl!"

Stephen, I think maybe Bruno just thinks girls who drink are easy. He may be on to something, come to think of it. Nice alliteration, by the way. :-)

Jen, you're right about the unsigned cards...I always think, why bother? I'm not a holiday card sender myself, so I really don't have much room to judge. Notice that I go ahead and do it anyway, though!

Poolie, I like the way you think! There's no lack of liquoring up, just a lack of PUI, so I'll try to do better. Thanks for the anniversary wishes!

Addie

PS - I sure wish I hadn't promised not to edit this post; there's one sentence that's driving me crazy!

Anonymous said...

heeheeheehee.
dat was one good post!!!

Zan said...

Happy Anniversary Addie!

Your post has me still giggling! Please post under the influence more often!

I know what you mean about the newsletters. Didn't these people learn that bragging is rude - especially when you're lying (I mean stretching the truth) so blatantly?

Stowe and Maria said...

Wow, now that was a post for the record books! And to think that you were seeing double the entire time and still managed to type all of that! Too funny.