Dog Language Barrier

I don’t mean to brag, but let me tell you, I know how to drive dogs wild with insatiable canine affection. Before someone calls the Don’t Molest Your Hound League (aka the DoMoYoHo League), I just mean that the dogs really like this particular thing I do, which I’ll gladly describe so your hounds can also benefit from this technique:

  • Get on all fours perpendicular to the hound, who has to be standing up for this to work.
  • Approach the dog, and place the top of your head on the dog’s side so that your head is touching the hound’s ribs.
  • Now push your head a bit against the dog until he starts leaning on you (you may want to wear one of those whiplash collars or other suitable medical brace if your dog is especially strong), then move your head in a random pattern all over the dog’s side.

Bruno, in particular, LOVES this procedure. He moans, bends into a semicircle, puts his forepaws on my back, his nose drips, he rubs his face on my neck, and generally makes every imaginable gesture of ecstacy. Eventually he just collapses onto the floor and will stare at me for upwards of an hour after we play this game. When I do this with Hoover, Bruno tries to get into the middle of it and will sometimes growl or pout because he’s not the one getting what he considers to be the hottest action in town.

Ok, hound people, I know you’re going to try it, and I hope your dogs like it as much as mine do. I'm also really enjoying picturing it in my mind, to tell the truth.

Here’s my disclaimer: It does occur to me that there may be some special meaning to this in “dog language”. Hopefully I’m not performing some gesture of submission that means, “Bruno, you are my King. Your every whim will be met cheerfully and on the timetable you specify. You’re welcome to sleep on my bed, eat my dinner, and wear my favorite party dress.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ONE MORE THING! - I have a terribly dirty-sounding name for this activity, and I'm offering 1000 bonus points to the first person who posts a comment with a correct guess of the naughty, naughty nomenclature!

9 comments:

Alex said...

I'm sorry but I must request you post a video of yourself performing this technique correctly. No, I'm not kidding!
I could not wait to try this with Hero, (as I have said in the past he is not an overly demonstrative hound, so anything that will drive him wild with insatiable canine affection is definitely worth doing in my mind)- but when I tried, he just walked away. I reread the post to see if I had possibly missed or misunderstood something, tried again- same result. Thus, I obviously need pictures. Thank you!

Zan said...

I want pictures too, because, well, just because I want them. I'm LMAO just picturing the process.

I'm off to give this method, through which my pup can purportedly achieve Nirvana, a try on Nick. I'll report my results!!

The great and powerful blogger has once again provided an appropriate v. word. especially when considered in light of plusestenvous' pirates.

Prizar - Nick be 'bout ter r'ceive quite a priz ar.... (Sorry couldn't resist)

Addie said...

Alex, I'm sad about your disappointing results! I think a friend of mine has a flip cam, so I'll see if I can sweet talk my way into getting this on video. By now Hero should be putty in your hands and gazing at you like you're the most beautiful creature he's ever seen.

Zan, I'm cracking up just thinking of you trying this on Nice, and I hope you can report a better reaction. I should have probably warned you in advance that, done correctly, your hair will be a terrible mess when you're finished giving Nick 'is priz, ar!

Leslie said...

Folks, I have actually seen Lori aka Addie to this to Bruno and he loves it a lot, maybe more than a lot !! I am sure she will be happy to make the video for the rest of you. I think does say "Bruno you are the king."
The v. word is "ingst" My mind is a blank on this one ??

Alex said...

In the interest of getting the 1000 points, I have an idea of what you call this. But being that it is still family hour I will only post it as a "Wheel of Fortune" puzzle.
G _ v _ ng s _ m _ h_ _ d.

I'd like to buy some vowels Pat ;-)

KF-in-Georgia said...

Thanks, alex. I'm so bad at guessing ... but I'm great at Wheel of Fortune. ;)

I'll have to see how my dogs feel about this. I'll let you know.

(Blogger is asking me for word verification, but it's not showing me a word! That's cheating.) Okay, it came back with geonize.

Maria Peters said...

Canoe shimmied away like I had poked him with a horn that grows out of the top of my head.

June loved it and responded by joyous nitting all over me.

word ver: saunia
I do not like saunias, but hot tubbias are good.

Addie said...

Yay...I'm glad June liked it! I'm cracking up at the idea of Canoe sidling off like he'd been offended by your imaginary horn. I guess this is something your hound either loves or really doesn't!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I'm requesting a video as well. The things dog lovers come up with. And I think Alex's guess must be right :-).

Jen