O' Christmas Tree!

Behold, if you will, my tinsel Christmas tree, a monument to the sparkly, tacky, mid-century holiday aestethic! I love all things retro when they're done with taste, and some things retro even when they're not (case in point). Don't worry; I have a real tree upstairs for the purists around here.

Anyway, I don't know what it is about mid-century architecture and design that intrigues me so much, but maybe it's just that it brings back a simpler time. A time when a gal could drive a car with fins, have cocktail from a glass that looks like a hollowed-out totem pole, and make a meatloaf while wearing stiletto heels, all while her husband puttered away building a bomb shelter wearing a cardigan and smoking a pipe.

I know, if I get bitch-slapped by a feminist, I totally deserve it. Forgive me, I was heavily into Mad Men last season.

In any case, I love this tree. This year I'm having a bit of trouble maintaining the ornament distribution on the lower branches, though, as you can see by all the baubles lying on the floor. Every time Bruno or Hoover walks by and wags his tail, at least one snowflake or disco ball goes flying. Since this tree is stationed near the main entry of my house, this happens a lot.

I like to think of these ornaments on the floor as a side-effect of hound happiness. Framed that way, it doesn't bother me much, especially after a few of those totem-pole cocktails.

Happy Friday, everyone!

8 comments:

Leslie said...

You got it going on my daughter but, that tree may have seen it's last Christmas. I have seen Mr."B" and Hoover lash their tails around the tree with a great deal of force and it may look like a pie plate made of foil by January 1st.
It is a pretty tree, I like shiny things.
My v. word is eyenama. Used in a sentence. Eyenama you Lori not Addie. It was good to talk to you today. Love You.

Zan said...

The pups don't mean to hurt that wonderful tree - they're just lovin' on it!!

Would you please cyber pass me on of those cocktails?

Addie said...

Mom, I think you might be right about the tree being on its last legs after all that tail-whipping!

BTW, ewenama me Adrienne Lorraine, and I thought I could mangle that anyway I wanted!

Zan, you're right, the pups have the best of happy intentions toward the tree. :-) Now here's your cocktail...cheers!

Addie

Kevin said...

I've got to say, I really do like that little tree. After all the work it took to get your real one taken care of upstairs, I'd like to see it given equal time. It (and the process of erecting it) deserves it's own blog post, doesn't it?

name said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
name said...

I almost bought a pink flocked tree this year. Then decided it would be yet another ridiculous item in my home that I didn't need. But of course now I regret passing it up. I mean, who am I kidding? I LOVE ridiculous. Your tree gets 5 points for being super-cute and another 5 for it's super-shininess...a perfect 10 :)

on a side note, please forgive me for the previous deleted comment. It had a grammatical error that I just could not let slide so I reposted.

bosslady said...

I have a soft spot reserved in my heart for tinsel trees! I have one of my own that Sal and I decorated this past weekend, will post the photos this week!

The Vintage Rose said...

Ever thought of a coffee/lamp table under the sparkly tree (or is that what the white square is under it?)
Here, here Kevin, we want to see the upstairs tree also, all trimmed of course, but if you think we want to hear how you lugged it up the stairs etc, you might still be hyperventilating [cheeky, cheeky I know - who is this bird anyway?]