Rants By Request, Part 2

Lots more Firefly. Lots more rants. 'Nuff said.

Before we get started...go smell your dog right quick. Over the past few days, my kids and their friends have mentioned that Hoover smells like maple syrup, so I finally decided to smell for myself. I put my nose right into the fur on his neck, and sure enough, he reeks of Mrs. Butterworth's. Bruno has no smell at all, oddly enough, and neither of them has had a bath since October or November. I realize this is not a rant, but I would like to know whether other hounds smell this way, so please advise.

Now for the ranting. I'd like to begin with the weather, which, I'm pleased to report, has improved dramatically over the last couple of days. First, I'll say that cold weather can kiss every inch of my lily-white buttocks, which might take a while. Sure, I live in Hotlanta, but it does get cold here, and it's really not to my taste at all. I'm indescribably cold-natured, and unless the house is kept around 70 degress, I'm miserable from November through March. Sure, I personally have the carbon footprint of a multinational coal-mining operation, but I honestly can't stand being the least bit cold.

Actually, I understand cold-intolerance has something to do with low progesterone, which may very well be at fault. While that in itself is inconvenient, this is a great segue into talking about bioidentical hormones vs. the synthetic crap big pharma is literally trying to cram down our throats. Let's see...so my hormonal choices are:

a) do nothing medically, grow a beard and join a sideshow under the billing of Pygmie Bearded Lady Boy

b) take Premarin or some similar pregnant-mare-derived chemical estrogen and Progestin, which chemically resembles Progesterone to about the same extent that cotton candy resembles nail polish remover, or

c) find a practictioner who is open to prescribing BHRT, submit a bazillion blood tests to titrate the levels of estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, and FSH (that's follicle stimulating hormone), and arrive at a safe level of hormones that my body knows how to synthesize.

Lordy! None of those sound exceptionally fun, but I'll take C. Ladies, best to take note of this entire issue and take action, since the pharma lobbyists are working hard to take this option away from us.

Ok, enough on this. Let's crucify lousy drivers!! I've got to say, I'm fed up with idiots who don't understand a four-way stop. Is it so hard to understand that everyone who was stopped before you got to the intersection gets to go first? I can't stand it when someone decides to wave me on when it's not my turn, or when they jump the gun on their turn. Anyone who is too stupid to negotiate a four-way stop correctly should be forced to wear velcro shoes and a helicopter-topped beanie so they can be identified visually.
Well, I didn't expect to run out of steam quite so quickly, but it is what it is. Next time, less Firefly, more rants!

8 comments:

Alex said...

So who in your house has been midnight snacking on Eggos?
Pepsi does have a sweet smell- but I would not call it "maple syrupy" or even "maple syrupish".
..."I can't stand it when someone decides to wave me on when it's not my turn" umm, oops.. I am a known "waver", wanted in at least 3 counties, I am sure- I shall hide under my bed now, let me know when the people with torches are gone.....

Grace said...

I did not noticed how our dogs smell lately... Hmm, I will try later...
I had fun reading your post, Addy, :)

Zan said...

Nick had a smell kind of like that about him when I first got him. Turned out he had an ear infection - yeast I think. Is the stench concentrated around his head? Nick really wasn't scratching at his ears a lot or exhibiting any of the other classic ear grot symptoms, but a couple of weeks of ear drops cleared it right up. I haven't smelled pancakes in his vicinity since.

Addie said...

Alex, pay me no attention...I'm a 4 way stop nut. I know most people love it when someone waves them on! Does Pepsi, by chance, smell like Pepsi?

Grace, let me if you find your dogs smell like syrup! I'm glad you enjoyed the post, and I enjoy your comments!

Zan, I hadn't even considered something might be wrong, but some investigation is in order. He does smell like Sunday breakfast all over (yes, I just finished sniffing him from stem to stern!), and his ears look ok. Maybe I'll give Hoover a bath, and if the smell comes back we'll hit the vet's office on Monday. I honestly wouldn't have thought of yeasty ears!

Addie

Zan said...

Addie - In Nick's case, the weird sweet smell was definitely coming from his ears. It's entirely possible that you just have a very tasty smelling hound ;-)!

bosslady said...

I noticed that dog paws usually smell like fritos. All dog paws I've ever had the 'pleasure' to smell, smell this way. Can I get an amen?

Poolie said...

Drew smells like a puppy. Not sure how to describe it better than that. It's a good smell. After a bath it'll go away for a week or so then it's back, head to toe. Garth and Handy have their own unique smells too but theirs aren't that notable.

On the 4-way stops. My threshold of patience is about 3 seconds. When I roll up to a stop, I know who's turn it is, if they don't go I will.

Addie said...

Bosslady, I smelled the paws, even though I was VERY reluctant to do it, and I'm not getting Fritos. They just smell like dirt, but that could be because of the state of my lawn. I'll have to check some other dogs before I can give you the Amen!

Poolie, I know it sounds weird, but I'd love to take a big whiff of Drew. Puppy smell is the bomb!

Addie