Catch o' the Day!

Ladies & Gents, permit me to announce that Hoover is damn proud of himself today, with good reason. What hound worth his spots, stripes, or solid wouldn't walk a little prouder after nabbing a 15-20 pound opossum and shaking him silly?

So last night at a little after 10:00, I let the boys out for their last tinkle of the day, which is normally a quick process. This time, Hoover spied the hapless marsupial as soon as the door opened, and he flew past Bruno down the steps toward his new toy. He reached the tree where the poor fellow was perched, leapt up, grabbed him, and shook his new friend like shaking was going out of style.

Let's take a break from the action and peek into the window of my panic, shall we? Great!

My mind said, "Oh crap, is that a cat? What the hell is that? Where's Bruno? Damn! He is shaking the crap out of that cat...Sweet Mother of Pearl!"

My mouth said, "Hoover, no!...No!...NO!" Now back to the action...

By the time I reached the third "no", Hoover dropped the opossum, who was playing dead and probably not nearly as much fun as he had been initially. Hoover stood with the little furry guy at his feet, wagging his tail and smiling. He stared at me for a moment, and then flounced off to do his business. It was then we were able to see that it wasn't a cat, but the biggest, fattest opossum either G or I had ever seen. Incidentally, those hairless tails make me a little nauseous, but I won't bore you with the details on that right now.

Long story short, the opossum eventually wandered off in a bit of a daze, and Hoover, who didn't have a scratch on him, has been strutting around like a rock star today. As for me, in the future, I'll check the yard and make some noise before I let those dogs outside, and hopefully that will scare off any potential victims.

9 comments:

Alex said...

Well, as long as it wasn't someone's Pet opossum and no one (hound nor human)was bitten- I guess you're in the clear.
Are you close to Tallapoosa, Ga? It may have been related to the opossum they dropped on New Years...
http://web.georgia.org/net/calendar/details.aspx?c=15482&s=24071.0.26.3011

Kevin said...

Wait - is that 15-20 pounds?? That's a whole lot o' 'possum!

Leslie said...

What a sweet looking litle 'critter" I know Hoover would liked to have taken him in the house to play with him LOL. I hereby name him "exbmi" my v. word for this post. You have all of the fun !! Love you all.

Maria Peters said...

Bravo, Bravo! Hoover, you ARE a rock star!

opossums are so yucky. Just think...it was probably getting ready to raid your garbage...or pee on your porch...or who knows what else. Glad Hoover saved you.

Addie said...

Alex, that possum drop link is hilarious! I don't know where Tallapoosa is, but it sounds like maybe I should try to make it there for New Years, and I should take Hoover. :-)

Kevin, that actually was supposed to say pounds...he (or she - who can tell?!) was huge!

Oh Mom, I'd have had a full on meltdown if that critter wound up in my house - the humanity! Eww.

You're right, Maria, and I really should thank Hoov, shouldn't I? I just can't stand these nasty guys. When I read the phrase "or pee on your porch", I sprayed water out of my nose!

Patti said...

Good for Hoover!! And he should be strutting! That's awesome. Next time, maybe you'll get a chance to see him course a bunny! :)

Patti said...

Oh Addie, you should stay clear of Tallapoosa. It's a very backwoods kind of place. We were there last year around the holidays searching for a lost Greyhound and I've never been so scared of a place before like I was around there. It reminded me of the movie "Deliverance"! Oh, we will pass it on our way to the Birmingham track. :)

Zan said...

Yeah Hoover!! You bagged a live stuffie!!

bosslady said...

Duuuude! What's with Huntley Hills?! That place is teaming with opossums! Follow this link to learn more on Chamblee Opossum infestation: http://www.abosslady.com/2007/05/salem-finds-possum-or-opossum.html

ick!