Luck of the Draw

Move over, Vegas! I’ve created my own game where the house always wins.

If you’ve ever been frustrated by your dusty furniture, funky floors, or nasty bathrooms, you may want to play the game, too. It’s genius, if I do say so myself. Here’s how it works:

Make a list of all the household tasks that need to happen in a week: vacuum, mop, dust, clean bathrooms, tidy under the kitchen sink, etc. In my case, I have 21 jobs.

Now write the tasks on note cards and place them all in an envelope marked “To Do”.

Create a second envelope marked “Done”.

Each day, 3 members of the household each draw a card and complete the task on the card. In our case, the 4th person is responsible for the dishes and kitchen clean-up for the entire week, so no one gets off scott free.

Once the job is finished, each person puts their card in the “Done” envelope.

At the end of the week, all the cards are returned to the “To Do” envelope, responsibility for the kitchen is passed to someone else, and the game starts again.

So each day, everyone does a chore that takes between 15-30 minutes, depending on the luck of the draw, and I get to wake up to a clean house every morning.

Oh yeah, the dealer TOTALLY wins.

5 comments:

Kevin said...

I'm totally doing this. It's even better than the mohawk.

Zan said...

Great idea!! Now if I just thought I could get participation without nagging.

How the heck did you get 43 colors? I could only mange 31.

Addie said...

Kevin, glad you like the idea. Dude, this WORKS...you'll love it! By the way, Happy Birthday!!

Zan, I don't nag at all, but the TV doesn't go on until the jobs are done, so after dinner I just put on music and everybody gets busy. :-) I'm the meanest meanie, aren't I? Anyway, that color quiz was frustrating, wasn't it? I came up with all kinds of food colors like salmon and pumpkin, which is where I got a lot of my colors.

name said...

this is good stuff!

bosslady said...

I love this! Too bad Salem can't read yet. Perhaps i'll make little chore-icons on the cards instead.

That envelope idea could would for a great many "services" I'd like to have performed on a weekly basis ;)