Scam Artists

Don't let these innocent-looking faces fool you...these are two of the wiliest con artists ever to gnaw rawhide. The scam:

The Mastermind (Bruno) wakes me up at the crack of dawn by pawing my pillow and jumping up and down, hoping this cute display will result in an early breakfast. Bruno has done this intermittently as long as he's been with us, and I always send him back to bed, and that's normally the end of it - until The Accomplice joined the Early Breakfast Scam.

Now when I send The Mastermind back to bed, The Accomplice (Hoover) steps in. He gets up and pretends that he needs to go outside, racing from the bedroom to the back door, whining at the door, and running back to my bedside. I will normally respond to a request to go outside no matter the hour, because it rarely happens, and I assume someone has an upset stomach.

Now this has happened two mornings in a row, and The Accomplice has no intention of going outside. Oh no, he wanted me to wake up, start the coffee pot, and start passing out breakfast. Well, I have a little news for these fun loving criminals: I'm going to bed tonight armed with a pistol. A water pistol, that is.

The punishment for this crime is a big squirt of water, right in the kisser. I'm armed and dangerous, and they'll get their breakfast when I'm good and ready!

7 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I forgot to tell you about that..... when you start feeding raw food, the dogs start pushing for early breakfasts. Some are really optimistic and try for the middle of the night. Keep the squirt bottle loaded for awhile. :-)

Jen

Addie said...

Jen, I'm actually relieved that this is a normal thing that they're doing. I was starting to wonder what I was doing wrong, because I don't want the guys to get any misguided ideas that they set the schedule around here.

Anyway, I'm glad that so far Bruno & Hoover haven't developed enough optimism to wake me up in the middle of the night, but if they do, they'll get a refreshing little spritz!

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

My parents have an IG mix who loves her chicken necks and she started getting my mom up in the middle of the night. Mom quickly realized she didn't have to go to the bathroom when Bailey would head for the kitchen instead. Another friend had a greyhound do the same, but they thought it was because he was SOOOO hungry. I assured them that he was not starving, but so excited that he was finally eating real food. Squirt bottle worked for them too.

Jen

bosslady said...

I am going to try and see if a water pistol works on Salem when she attempts the dreaded 'early breakfast'. I'll keep you informed on the results.

Addie said...

Jen, I had actually started thinking the guys were really hungry, and my analogy was something like "raw food is to dogs what Chinese food is to people". Good to know it's just that they like the food, not that they need more of it!

Ash, let me know how the water pistol works out as a parenting tool. :-) It's probably good that I didn't get this idea when my kids were little, or they'd both probably have an "unexplained" aversion to hoses, water parks, and faucets!

MG Blue Barron said...

Too funny! I don't ever set an alarm anymore, Blue has me out of bed by 7 am each morning wanting to go out then FOOD! He barks, jumps in bed, grabs shoes and tosses them around the room, nips at any exposed limbs, I have been meaning to record this...

Addie said...

Hey Scott, I guess I'd rather wake up to a happy hound who wants to eat than an obnoxious alarm clock. I just wish my fur alarm clocks were set for a slightly later time!
A