Home Remedies

Home remedies have always fascinated me, and while I have my favorites (like most people I know), my willingness to try new ones is always directly proportional to my misery. After coming down with a cold on Saturday that came complete with fever, cold sweats, and aches, I'm prepared to share what may just be the ultimate cure. I've never recovered this quickly from a cold that started so ominously, so I think this really works.

I've always sworn by vodka as a terrific cold and flu medicine, and I normally add an ounce or so to a cup of tea with lemon and honey several times a day. This time I googled "home remedies" and came up with a new adaptation of my vodka cure, and here it is:

1 1/2 oz. of vodka every 2-3 hours

In between vodka doses, drink as much of the concoction below as you can:

In a big pot, boil 2 quarts of water and add 2 large chopped onions, 6 or 7 inches of fresh ginger root (grated), and one head of garlic (smashed and chopped). Let this simmer for 10 minutes or so and then turn off the heat. Drink this steadily throughout the day until it's gone.

My theory on why this works: garlic and onions have antibacterial properties, ginger is an known anti-inflammatory, and of course hydration is key to getting better from a cold. Of course the vodka just makes you feel better, but I've also known Russians who swear it kills germs.

On the subject of the vodka, the bottle pictured here is Tito's Handmade Vodka, by far the best vodka I've ever tasted. Yes...Tito's is better than Ketel One, Grey Goose, Stoli...you name it. It's also domestically produced, has won international awards, has been written up in many national magazines and newspapers - and it's pretty inexpensive. If you like vodka, you've got to try Tito's.

On another note, the remedy described above is meant to be taken on its own, NOT in combination with over the counter medications. The Mom in me is forcing me to say that Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen are very dangerous when taken with alcohol.

In any case, I hope you all escape cold and flu season unscathed, but if you do catch a bug and decide to try the remedy above, let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Sounds horrible tasting!

Jen

Addie said...

I should have mentioned that...it sounds worse than it is, but it's still pretty bad!

Kevin said...

And just where does one find said Tito's vodka? I don't think it's made its way to the wild west yet...

Addie said...

Hi Kev, there's actually a distributor in Tempe, so it's making its way out to you. Outside of that, you can reliably find it at my house! Hope to see you around Turkey time.