Checking My Calendar

Today I visited one of those downscale big-box retailers (the kind that has groceries, patio furniture, sewing notions, and auto parts), and I just had to check my calendar when I got home.

Hmmm...sure enough, it is still September.

Why then, just a few aisles from the Halloween costumes, were they already selling holiday ornaments?

ARE THEY SERIOUS?

Make no mistake, I love the holidays. I love the food, the fun, the festive decorations, the booze, the presents, the time with friends and family, the whole deal.

What I do not love is the sales aspect that ruins the fun of it. The holiday season is not meant to begin nearly 3 months ahead of time so some mega-conglomerate can sell people more stuff they don't need that will wind up in a landfill. What's next...Santa suits for sale next to the 4th of July t-shirts?

Hurry up, folks, go get your ornaments! You have just under 11 weeks to prepare for Hanukkah,12 weeks for Christmas and Kwanzaa. Yes, I know Kwanzaa isn't real, but I don't have time to debate that. I have to go write my letter to Santa now.

Happy Holidays!

No comments: