Perplexing Question

We all know we need to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. We need to change our habits: use public transportation, combine our errands, support alternative fuels. The question that's been nagging me over the last couple of months relates to a simple way we could reduce our fuel consumption if our local governments would support and implement it.

Why aren't traffic lights synchronized better?

This has come to my attention on several errand-running marathons when I've been on surface streets. If I'm observing posted speed limits, why am I stopping at almost every light? Isn't all that starting, stopping, and idling wasting gas?

If you know the answer to this, or how to get this info, please comment on this post. I'd be interested in mounting some sort of campaign to improve the synchronization in my area. Someone out there knows the answer!

No comments: