The Blog is Dead, Long Live the Blog

I know. I’ve been absent. I owe rants on a variety of topics, but in my typical self-indulgent fashion, I’m going to rant about something else. Right now, my freedom of choice has become scarce and precious, so I’ve got to exercise it when I can. The good news: I’m about as drunk as Cooter Brown as I type this. Now, if you’re from Texas, you know Cooter Brown, and you know that means I’m really, seriously, three sheets to the wind.

More good news: the pups are doing really well these days. Hoover’s fur has become soft as a bunny, and Bruno is turning into the world’s best and biggest snugglebug. Those pooches are really a bright spot for me. J & T are also doing pretty well, except that J has Mono, just in time for spring break, graduation, and prom – yay!

Even more good news: Garrett is still the bomb-diggity, and he’s made so much progress on the yard that it actually ALMOST LOOKS DECENT. In the intervening weeks since my last post, I’ve had no complaints on the G front. I have, however, had plenty to gripe about on the work front.

Now for your reading displeasure, I’m proud to present the Top 10 Reasons My Employer Can Suck It.

1. They laid me off from the position I liked.
2. After laying me off, they gave me a job I didn’t want.
3. Once I started the job I didn’t want, they gave me a promotion to a worse position.
4. The promotion didn’t come with a raise.
5. The promotion required me to perform, on average, 38 additional hours per week, raising my normal weekly hours worked to almost 80.
6. The number of hours I’m now working is sucking the life out of me.
7. They moved the office to a new space with NO cubicle walls.
8. I now have to stare at my colleagues all day.
9. I am now in a commissioned position, but still don’t know what my metrics are.
10. Today, I received an EMAIL stating that all U.S. employees will be taking a 2.5% pay cut. An EMAIL, people.

I could have easily made this a top 12, or top 15. The last thing I’ll say is that if ONE more person tells me that I’m lucky to have a job, SOMEBODY is getting bitch-slapped.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

I am so sorry about your job, my v.word for this comment is "cytrize" can you use this word ?
Did you find out what the color of Jared's cap and gown ?

Here it is 2:12 A.M. , guess what I can't sleep.
Glad to see your blog. Love, Mom

Zan said...

Addie- I was excited to see a new post from you as the blogosphere has missed your wit. Then I read your post. I was sure you'd been busy with your new, new gig - but had hoped that you were at least more or less enjoying yourself.

When companies take advantage of people - and even in a bad economy asking for double work at less pay is taking advantage - it comes back to haunt them when things improve. I know that's little comfort now but....

Scritch the pups for me.

bosslady said...

I'm so sorry Addie. My boss just punched a hole in the door here where I work. So, I get it. I really, really do.

Poolie said...

Hi Addie :-)

You're not only lucky to have a job, apparently you're extra special and have TWO of them (40x2). I know the though of eating Alpo doesn't sound appealing, but I swear if I were in your shoes I'd have some colorful suggestions on where they could stick my job.

Hang in there!!!