King for a Day?

Not me, silly! I know I've been away for a while, but I PROMISE I'm still a lady and therefore could never be King.

J, on the other hand, came home from school and announced that he's been nominated for Prom King. Not only that...he intends to actively campaign for the position. There's no "it's an honor just to be nominated" philosophy here; this kid is making the full-court-press to win his rightful place on the prom throne. So far the plan includes t-shirts with his picture on them, a guest appearance on the morning announcements, and any other means of ingratiating himself with the senior population.

Sure, it's cool in a way, but it's also weird. Let's step into the kooky space-time continuum bending machine for a moment, shall we?

(Cue the fantasy-sequence music...)

Stepping out of the machine, you find Mother and Son in an alternate reality in which they're both in high school at the same time, a la Back to the Future. In this case, the Mom is a pasty, bookish social retard hurrying off to Academic Decathlon practice, and the Son is the handsome, happy-go-lucky flop-as-a-scholar everyone loves. In other words, he's that kid who never would have known I was alive if we had gone to school together.

I'm not sure why I think that's so bizarre, and I don't think I'll ever completely understand it. In any case, I guess having a kid who's nominated for Prom King does score me some vicarious cool points on that big scoreboard in the sky.

6 comments:

Zan said...

Wow!! Tell J that I'll jump in that time machine and vote for him.

Life With Dogs said...

That takes me way back! If he is not successful, you should bring home a Burger King crown as a consolation gift :)

Leslie said...

That is just super !!!!!!
I'll vote for him. LOL Graet that you are blogging again.
Now about the color of his cap and gown ???
Hugs and kisses all around~~~~ love, Mom

Leslie said...

great that is..

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

SHE'S ALIVE!!!! We miss you. I was definitely not prom queen material. Although I did go and was totally gorgeous. I normally was plain Jen, but at the prom no one recognized me until I said something. The guys were impressed :-).

Jen

bosslady said...

I told you that the girls go wild for J...Just ask Alison, she heard it from the horse's mouth.