Long-Overdue Tribute


Dear Cosmo,

Some would say that we rescued you in February of 1995, but the truth is that we gave you a home, and gave you our love, and you gave us your life from that very day until the last beat of your precious heart on June 27th, 2008. You freely gave us your devotion, adoration, and friendship, and you brought us more laughter and joy than we could have imagined.

There's no denying that you and I connected on the first day we met at the Humane Society. I felt it, and so did you. When I left the visiting room to ask the staff about how to adopt you, you cried from the moment I left your sight, stopping only when I came back to you. We were meant to be together.

In those first months together, I remember how you used to run through the ice plants with your Dad giving chase. Your tongue hung from your mouth, swaying with the rhythm of your galloping legs. You were a thrill to watch, even in those naugthy moments when your Dad was not amused.

We managed to make him crazy a few times together, didn't we? The first time you slept under the covers at my feet, he knew it wouldn't be the last time, and he was so right! Remember when we moved to Austin and couldn't find an apartment that would let us keep you, and we had to buy the house so you'd be happy and comfortable? You were just as much a part of this family as any of us, and we all love and miss you immensely.

Thank you for devoting your life to us and sharing your love. You taught the boys what loving and being loved by a pet means, and you opened your Dad's heart to the true meaning of eternal friendship. As for me, I'm sure you know what's in my heart, because you always did.

Now that you've left this life, our relationship on Earth has ended much as it began. You see, my little buddy, I've cried since the moment you left my sight, and there will always be a part of me that misses your constant love and faithful presence at my side. Until we meet again in Heaven, I'll see you in my dreams, sweet boy.

Love Forever,
Mom

2 comments:

bosslady said...

I'm crying now. I miss him too...

Addie said...

Thanks Ashley & Maria. I always manage to cry when I read this again. There will never be another Cosmo. Addie